It is undeniable that raising children today is very different from the past. Several facets of society have changed over the years, but perhaps the most glaring one is the prominence of technology in contemporary society. IT equipment such as mobile phones, tablets, and computers has completely revolutionized human behavior and taken convenience to unimaginable levels. However, these gadgets can also be a double-edged sword if parents do not control how their little ones use them. Therefore, parents must be keen to ensure they are used effectively.
Educating your children on the proper use of technology is a critical first step for all parents.
Simple principles for raising children with technology
As the world evolves and adapts to new trends, it will be very difficult for parents to forbid their children from using IT equipment. Teaching them how to use technology responsibly early on is more progressive and effective. It also helps children learn things around them faster. There are recommendations as follows.
- Allocate time for technology use. Limit your children’s on-screen time to no more than two hours at a time, divided into a maximum of two sessions.
- Always monitor what your child is doing on different devices. If something isn’t right, it should be explained immediately. Don’t ignore any red flags under the illusion of them being just a child; children pick up a lot more than you think.
- Teach your children how to use their gadgets correctly. Remind them to place their screens a ruler’s length away from their eyes and set sufficient ambient lighting. Restrict their devices to access only the appropriate websites, etc.
Advantages of technology use in modern-day’s parenting.
The rise and prevalence of technology is an added accessory to great parenting. Here are some of the benefits that come with integrating technology into your parenting.
- Parents have more time to perform other tasks, as the need for constant babysitting is reduced.
- Children can learn more on their own. Technology provides further access to a wide range of learning opportunities.
- Technology makes it easier to supervise your children. Parents can oversee their children’s online activity even when they are not together.
Effects of Parents Neglecting their Children’s Use of Technology
Everything in the world has advantages and disadvantages if used incorrectly. When children are left to explore technology independently without being chaperoned, the consequences are often devastating. Unrestricted use of technology by kids may result in:
- Children may develop negative traits such as aggression from watching or listening to inappropriate content such as pornography and violence.
- Unsupervised children may develop the need for social validation by trying to mimic trends they see online and perceive to be cool. The result is often self-esteem issues and misbehavior.
Raising a happy, normal child starts with competent parents who have time to care for them. As a parent, you are responsible for teaching your child how to use technology responsibly. We believe that technology can make the uphill task of raising children less exhilarating. If children accept and understand the principles you are trying to instill, they can develop physically and mentally.